Last updated 2 January 2019
1. V - The Youth Volunteering Charity
V. It's the first letter of the word volunteering. It's also the name of a new charity set up to inspire a new generation of volunteers. V is putting the youth back into youth volunteering. It's different because it's led by the interests and passions of young people.
It all started with the Russell Commission. It was set up by the government to look at the future of youth volunteering. Over 6000 young people had their say, as well as voluntary organisations, businesses and the media.
The result? The Russell Commission Report. It is a plan to improve the quality, quantity and diversity of youth volunteering in England. They are a new charity to do it.
V was launched in May 2006, with a group of young people – V20 – placed firmly in the driving seat.
With money from the government and from businesses, V has already;
- funded 115,000 new opportunities
- dished out cash for youth-led projects through Cashpoint
- released research on barriers to volunteering
- unleashed the whatsyourv? campaign
- launched the vinspired website