Your rights

11. Who can make a request for information

You can make a request for information about yourself. The person who the request for information is about is legally known as the Data Subject.

A friend, relative, advocate or solicitor can also act on your behalf. However, this person must provide us with written permission from you to confirm that they are acting for you and we will require identification for you.

If someone does not have the mental capacity to make a request for their information, they may appoint a person with a lasting power of attorney or a Deputy appointed by the Court of Protection who can exercise rights on behalf of their behalf. In this circumstance, we can ask you to present a certified copy of your power of attorney.

For all requests, we'll need documentary proof that you are who you say you are. This is for security reasons to make sure we are dealing with you and that none of your personal information is accessed or interfered with by anyone else falsely claiming to be you. Please ensure you provide at least two forms of identification. We can accept

  • a copy of a passport
  • driving licence
  • utility bill
  • Council Tax bill
  • bank statement bearing your full name and current postal address

When we have received your request, we'll send you a written acknowledgement. In some circumstances we may also ask for additional information if necessary.


There is no set age in England which recognises when children are automatically able to exercise data protection rights.

As a general rule a child must have sufficient understanding and maturity to exercise their own rights and we will use a common sense approach if a child or young person submits a request.

For children aged under 13, it will generally be expected that a request is made by a person with parental responsibility, usually, the person who the child lives with. Any ‘best interest’ considerations will be taken into account.

The following evidences would be accepted as proof of parental responsibility:

  • birth certificate
  • court order
  • adoption record
  • Special Guardianship Order (SGO)

Data protection