Your rights

4. Accessing your personal information

You can ask us if we have any information about you and how you can see it. This information may simply be contact details, such as name, address and mailing preferences, or it may be your full care file which could contain reports, medical details and your daily routines.

You can ask us:

  • what information we have about you and why
  • who we might share it with
  • how long we keep this information for
  • where we got your information from

This information can also help you exercise your other information rights effectively.

Information you will not be able to see

If there is information about other people in your records, we may take this out if we do not have this individual’s agreement that you can see it.

The law recognises that there are occasions when it may be appropriate to withhold certain information and provide exemptions in specified circumstances. If we withhold information on the basis that it's exempt from disclosure, if possible we'll explain the exemptions and the reasons they're necessary.

In certain circumstances, we may refuse to act on your request if we think that it's unfounded, excessive or repetitive in nature. We'll give our reasons if we refuse to comply with your request on any of these grounds.

Requesting your child's information

Parents do not have an automatic right to access information about their child under Data Protection legislation.

If a child is over the age of 12 and understands how to access their own information, we would need their consent to release information to the parent.

For children under the age of 13, parental authority needs to be provided. For more information, you can read our guidance on children's data.

Requesting records of a person who has died

The right of access under data protection legislation only applies to living individuals. We'll action any requests for records of a person who has died on a case-by-case basis.

For more information, you can:

Arranging for someone else to request access to information on your behalf

You can ask anyone to act on your behalf. For example:

  • a friend
  • a relative
  • a solicitor
  • an employee of a consumer organisation such as Citizens Advice Bureau

Before we discuss or provide your personal information to anyone acting on your behalf, you must confirm to us in writing that they have your authority to do so.

We will need:

Use the button below to download the form to request a copy of your information:

Request a copy of your personal information (PDF 302Kb)

Return your completed form along with any additional information and copies of your evidence to our Data Protection Officer (DPO). You can do this by either:

  • emailing it to

  • posting it to the following address:

    Information Governance Team
    Lower Ground Floor
    Stopford House
    SK1 3XE

Data protection