Your rights

3. Access to your personal information

You can ask us for copies of the information we hold about you by completing the Subject Access request (SAR) form below.

When you have asked us for this information, we will provide you with:

  • the reasons why it's necessary to process your personal information
  • the types of personal information we process
  • the recipients or categories of recipient to whom your personal information have been or will be disclosed, including any recipients in third countries or international organisations and if relevant, the safeguards applicable to the transfer
  • where possible, the expected period for which your personal information will be stored, or the criteria used to determine that period
  • the right to request rectification, erasure of personal information or to object or seek to restrict such processing
  • the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority
  • the source(s) of any personal information we hold that has not been collected directly from you
  • whether or not decisions are made about you solely using automated means, including profiling, without human intervention and, if so, provide meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and the envisaged consequences of such processing for you.

We'll let you know if we have taken information out that identifies anyone else.

If we withhold information on the basis that it is exempt from disclosure, where we can we will explain the exemption(s) we are relying on and the reason why one or more apply.

For example, it may be exempt if providing it to you would compromise the prevention or detection of crime or the prosecution of offenders. In certain cases we may also withhold some information relating to education, health and social work.

When we have received your SAR form, we have 1 calendar month to provide you with your information. The calendar month starts when we receive your valid proof of identity.

You must provide us with as much detail as you can about the information you want to access so we can find it quickly. If we need to contact you for further information to help us find the personal data you requested you may have to wait longer for a response.

When we have found your personal information we'll send copies to you in the same way you contacted us unless you tell us you would like it in another way.

In certain circumstances we can refuse to respond to your request if we consider that it is unfounded, excessive or repetitive in nature.

Use the button below to download the form to request a copy of your information:

Request a copy of your personal information (PDF 302Kb)

Please return your form along with any additional information and copies of your evidence to our Data Protection Officer (DPO) by emailing us at or by post to the address below:

Information Governance Team
Lower Ground Floor
Stopford House

Arranging for someone else to request access to information on your behalf

You can ask anyone to act on your behalf. For example:

  • a friend
  • a relative
  • a solicitor
  • an employee of a consumer organisation such as a Citizens Advice Bureau

Before we discuss or provide your personal information to anyone acting on your behalf you must confirm to us in writing that they have your authority to do so. We need your signed permission, with two forms of your identification. Your can find out more on our who can make a request for information page.

Data protection