What is Housing Benefit?

1. Overview

Housing Benefit is a national scheme to help you pay your rent.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you have a low income of any type, this includes people who work for an employer or who are self-employed.

The amount you receive will be based on your income and circumstances. Housing Benefit is worked out and paid by your local Council but the rules regarding entitlement are set by government.

Housing Benefit is available for:

  • People who rent their home from the Council or a Housing Association
  • People who rent their home from a private landlord

You cannot get Housing Benefit if:

  • You or your partner have more than £16,000 in savings, unless you receive Guaranteed Pension Credit.
  • You pay rent to a close relative who lives in the same home as you
  • You own the place where you live

You can get an idea of how much benefit you might be entitled to by using the online calculator on BetterOff Stockport. .

Remember this calculation is an estimate based on the information you give us.

The easiest way to make a new claim for Housing Benefit is to do it online using our Housing Benefit claim form.