Travelling during winter weather
As a road user (motorist or pedestrian), you have a responsibility to yourself, your passengers and other road users. Here are some suggestions to assist you in having a safe journey:
- is your journey really necessary? If it is, plan it and give yourself plenty of time.
- tell someone your intended route and how long you think it's going to take - if you are driving do not forget to factor in a break every 2 or 3 hours
- listen to the radio for details about road and weather conditions
- pedestrians should, wear warm clothing and appropriate footwear
- drivers should consider using alternative transport means - visit the Transport for Greater Manchester website for more information
When snow or icy roads are forecast you should adjust your driving to suit the conditions.
Beware – Black ice isn't always visible so can be a greater hazard for both motorists and pedestrians. Black ice is formed when light rain or drizzle falls onto a freezing road surface.