Town Centre Access Plan
3. Work taking place
TCAP's ambitious vision and town centre investment work is improving access for all whether travelling by foot, public transport, cycling or as a motorist.
Some of the work completed to date includes:
- widening of key highways to the east of the town centre along St Mary's Way and Hempshaw Lane reducing congestion by allowing more traffic to use the route easily. Also junction improvements at Hall Street/Turncroft Lane/Banks Lane/Offerton Lane
- road improvements to the west of the town centre including M60 Junction 1 (Hollywood Way), along King Street West, Booth Street and Greek Street
- creation of a link road between the A6 and Travis Brow, giving motorists a new direct link from the A6 junction 1 to the M60. You can watch a fly through video of the work.
- creation of new public squares and walking routes in the town centre
- access improvements at Stockport rail and bus stations, and at development sites including Stockport Exchange, Redrock and Aurora Stockport
- public realm improvements across the town centre
- creation of new and improved pedestrian and cycle routes
Current and forthcoming work includes:
- continued work in the Market Place and Underbanks in support of Stockport's 'Rediscovering the Underbanks' project to transform our historic high street
- completion of an improved bridleway route between Vernon Road at Bredbury Hall/Daisyfield Recreation Ground and Stockport Road West at Pear Mill Industrial Estate and via a new pedestrian and cycle bridge over the river to Woodbank Memorial Park and Little Moor
- further access improvements around the rail and bus stations and Stockport's new Interchange