Town Centre Access Plan

6. Compensation

Below are examples of compensation claims that can be made after the construction of the Stockport Town Centre Access Plan scheme.

You can visit GOV.UK to find information about situations in which you may be able to receive help in the form of physical actions to reduce the impact on your property of nuisances (such as noise) caused by public works. This is provided in the Department for Communities and Local Government's Compulsory Purchase and Compensation booklet.

GOV.UK also provide information about compensation when a road affects your property's value.

The right of homeowners to compensation where they are affected by road works is explained in the House of Commons Library's Standard Note: SN/BT/146: Roads: compensation for homeowners (PDF 82kb).

The right of businesses to compensation in the event of loss of trade due to road works is explained in the House of Commons Library's Standard Note: SN/BT/200 Roads: compensation for loss of business from road works.

Any potential claimant may wish to take professional advice in consideration of making a claim.

If you have been directly affected by TCAP, the Communities and Local Government website provides advice on the compulsory purchase and related compensation process.

Anyone concerned about the direct impact of the scheme on their land interests can also contact the project team for more information by calling 0161 474 2299 or emailing us.

Council Tax and business rates advice

The impact of works connected with construction of the Stockport Town Centre Access Plan is not grounds for appeal against your Council Tax valuation band unless you believe the construction of the road may bring about a material reduction in the value of your property because there will be a change to the physical state of the local area.

A business rates ratepayer can appeal against their rateable value if there has been a physical change in the local area, for example, road works.

Any appeals must be made direct to the Valuation Office Agency and not your local council.

Please note: making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax or business rates owing in the meantime.