The Care Act is the biggest change to English adult social care law in over 60 years.
This page is intended to help you understand the Act and how we are responding in Stockport, and to provide further information and contact details which you might find helpful. The page will be updated as we develop our response.
Key areas of change for April 2015 included:
- general responsibilities on local authorities including promoting people’s wellbeing, focusing on prevention and providing information and advice
- the introduction of a consistent, national eligibility criteria
- new rights to support for carers, on an equivalent basis to the people they care for
- legal right to a personal budget and direct payment
- the extension of local authority adult social care responsibility to include prisons, and
- new responsibilities around transition, provider failure, supporting people who move between local authority areas and safeguarding