Tenants and landlords

1. Information for tenants

Repairs in your home

If an emergency repair is needed in your home, you should contact your landlord. If your landlord, agent or contractors need to come into your home, they should follow the advice on social distancing set out by the government. An emergency repair is something that’s needed to make your home safe and secure such as dealing with:

  • water supply
  • electricity supply
  • gas supply
  • annual gas safety checks
  • fire safety
  • drainage problems
  • pest control
  • heating failure
  • leaks
  • work to windows and doors that may affect security

If you’re self isolating, you should tell your landlord or agent but you do not have to give them details about your health. You can still report any issues to your landlord so that a record can be kept and the work can be carried out when the risk of coronavirus has been reduced.  If your landlord does not carry out essential work or repairs you can report a property repair and we can help you. We’ll only visit your home if the problem is a risk to your health or safety.

If you’re struggling to pay your rent

You should speak to your landlord if you’re not able to pay your rent. Landlords with buy to let mortgages may get a payment holiday if their tenants have financial problems because of coronavirus. If you’re worried about paying your rent or have financial concerns because of coronavirus, you can find information and advice on the Shelter and Citizens’ Advice websites.

Harassment and eviction by landlords

From 26 March 2020 to 30 September 2020, landlords will not be able start possession proceedings unless they've given you 3 months’ notice. It's important that you continue to pay your rent as normal during this period.

To report an illegal eviction or harassment, you can call the housing standards team on 0161 474 4181 or email housing.standards@stockport.gov.uk.

You can also get advice by:

If you’re being physically threatened, you can call the police on 999.

If you’re a lodger and you have a written agreement, your landlord should only give you notice as stated in the agreement. If you do not have an agreement, the landlord only has to give you reasonable notice which is usually 2 to 4 weeks. 


If you’re homeless or threatened with homelessness during the coronavirus pandemic, you can find information on the Stockport Homes website