Tenants and landlords

1. Information for tenants

Repairs in your home

Tenants have a right to a warm and safe place to live. Where safe to do so, it's in the best interests of tenants and landlords to ensure that properties are:

  • well maintained
  • kept in good repair
  • free from hazards

Tenants should let their landlords know early if there's a problem and landlords should take the appropriate action as soon as possible.

No work should be carried out in a household which is isolating unless there is a direct risk to the safety of the household or to the public.

For households in which one or more people are shielding, any non-emergency work should only be carried out at the discretion of the individuals concerned. Anyone entering a clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) household should take precautions to prevent infection.

During the national lockdown, landlords should carry out repairs and safety inspections in line with public health advice and the relevant coronavirus (COVID-19) legislation.

If you’re struggling to pay your rent

You should speak to your landlord if you’re not able to pay your rent. Landlords with buy to let mortgages may get a payment holiday if their tenants have financial problems because of coronavirus. If you’re worried about paying your rent or have financial concerns because of coronavirus, you can find information and advice on the following websites:

Harassment and eviction by landlords

Landlords will not be able to start possession proceedings unless they have given their tenants 6 months notice. It’s important that you continue to pay your rent as normal during this period. Exemptions are in place for the most serious cases:

  • anti-social behaviour (including rioting)
  • domestic abuse
  • false statement
  • where a tenant has accrued rent arrears to the value of over 6 months rent

Legislation is in place to make sure bailiffs do not serve eviction notices, except in the most serious circumstances. This legislation will be in place until 31 March 2021 and will be kept under review.

To report an illegal eviction or harassment, you can call the housing standards team on 0161 474 4181 or email housing.standards@stockport.gov.uk.

You can also get advice by:

If you’re being physically threatened, you can call the police on 999.

If you’re a lodger and you have a written agreement, your landlord should only give you notice as stated in the agreement. If you do not have an agreement, the landlord only has to give you reasonable notice which is usually 2 to 4 weeks. 


If you’re homeless or threatened with homelessness during the coronavirus pandemic, you can find information on the Stockport Homes website