Temporary events notice

1. Overview

A Temporary Event Notice is required whenever anyone wishes to conduct licensable activities that are not covered by a premises licence or club premises certificate.

Licensable activities consist of:

  • sale by retail of alcohol
  • supply of alcohol to a member of a club - means to supply a member of a recognised club (with rules concerning admission to the premises) NOT to an informal club (e.g; swimming club)
  • regulated entertainment - includes plays, films, live music, recorded music, discos, karaoke and other similar entertainments
  • late night refreshment - means providing hot food after 11:00pm


  • a private event where there is no retail sale of alcohol (e.g; a wedding reception)
  • a public event with free refreshments (which may include alcohol, but without limitations on quantity)
  • an educational film, music or dance lessons

Please note this is not a complete list. If you are unsure whether your proposed activities are covered please contact the Licensing team on 0161 474 4181.