Supported and older person's housing

3. Residential care homes

Residential care is for people over 18 years old who are no longer able to remain living independently at home. This may be due to physical disabilities, sight or hearing loss, frailty or illness.

In Stockport residential homes are all independently owned and managed, so charges will vary. All registered care homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and are given star ratings. You can check the star rating of a particular care home by visiting the CQC website.

How to access residential care:

You may contact the Adult Social Care Contact Centre on 0161 217 6029 to find out if you're eligible for financial support from the local authority for residential care.

You will be able to receive help from us if you fall within the 'critical' or 'substantial' categories of the Fair Access to Care Criteria, as set out by the Department of Health. You can still receive information and advice on other services available to help you if you're not eligible for help.

If a residential home is found to be the best option, we can recommend which ones would best meet your needs and advise on any vacancies. They can help you find one in your chosen area of Stockport.

Alternatively you can search for your own care home on the My Care My Choice website.