Supported and older person's housing

2. Extra care housing

Extra care housing provides self-contained accommodation for older people who have care and support needs. The care and support is available 24 hours a day.

Unlike sheltered housing, the care and support is available on a more flexible basis to respond to your changing circumstances.

We currently have extra care schemes in Edgeley, Reddish, Marple and Heald Green. These are managed by a partnership between Stockport Council, Registered Providers – housing associations and Stockport Homes – and a contracted care provider.

All the schemes consist of self-contained apartments and are available to rent. However, there are a limited number of shared ownership options available at Smithy Croft scheme in Heald Green.

Some of these apartments are adapted for people with disabilities or for wheelchair users. The extra care schemes benefit from a mix of able and less able older residents. They also allow couples and friends to stay together.

Please note that the schemes often have waiting lists and eligibility criteria.

How to apply:

Extra care housing is available to all older people whether they own or rent their property following a social work assessment.

You can call the Adult Social Care Contact Centre on 0161 217 6029 for further details of extra care housing.

The Housing Learning and Improvement Network website provides useful case studies and good practice guidance around extra care housing.

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) is also a good source of information about extra care.

There are also a number of Extra Care schemes available for outright sale on the private market operated;by;

  • McCarthy and Stone (Dutton Court)
  • Gladman (Adlington House)

For further information, please read the extra care housing strategy (PDF 968Kb)