Support for school aged children

Travel support to and from educational facilities is available for eligible students aged up to 25 who are in full time education with an EHC Plan or a Statement of Educational Needs.

The transport provided for eligible pupils will depend on their age, needs, and the school that they attend.

Local bus, train and tram services

For children who are able, and where there’s a suitable service, we’ll provide a pass for them to travel to and from school on their local public bus, train or tram.

If a child is provided with a travel pass, it’s the responsibility of their parent or carer to take them to and from the bus stop, train station or tram stop as necessary.

Contracted coaches, minibuses, taxis and private hire cars

We may provide transport using local coach, minibus, taxi or private hire operators if:

  • a child’s needs mean that additional support is needed
  • there's no suitable public transport service available

All home to school transport contractors have to meet the relevant operator, driver and vehicle licensing requirements. This includes a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check for staff.