Last updated 14 February 2023
You will not pay Council Tax on your property if everyone over the age of 18 in the property is a student.
You may be able to get a 25% Council Tax reduction if one person over the age of 18 in the property is not a student.
Full time student in Higher Education
You may be able to get a reduction if the student:
- attends a university or college course which lasts for at least 24 weeks a year
- is 18 or over and attends university or college
- is on a course which involves at least 21 hours of study per week during term time
Under 20s in Further Education
You may be able to get a reduction if the student is studying for:
- at least 12 hours per week for more than 3 months
- any qualification up to A level or equivalent standard at a recognised college or school
You must provide a student certificate from the place where they’re studying to confirm:
- the start and end date of their course
- that it’s full time
If you’re 18 or 19 years old and you leave school or college between 1 May and 31 October, the reduction will run until 1 November.