Stockport rights of way
8. Protection against rights of way being established
A new right of way can be established through public use. A landowner can prevent this from happening by showing that they've taken action to make it clear to the public that they have no right to cross the land.
Ways that they can do this include:
- locking gates
- placing fences or other obstructions in the way
- giving verbal warnings to those using the way
Using legislation in Section 31(3) of the Highways Act 1980, a landowner can also display a notice denying that a public right of way exists.
Current locations in Stockport that are protected against rights of way being established are:
- land at Mill Farm, Hazel Grove
- land at Middlewood Lane, High Lane
- land at Rollins Lane, Marple
- land at Brookside Farm, Hazel Grove