Report a concern about abuse of an adult - professionals only

You can use this form if you're a professional and have a safeguarding concern for an adult.

Note: we'll only make enquiries about safeguarding concerns that have taken place within the borough of Stockport. When abuse or neglect takes place outside of Stockport, you'll need to report this to the relevant local authority.

In an emergency call 999. To report a crime call 101.

If you think the adult is at risk of self-harm, consider calling their GP.

Before you start

The Mental Capacity Act applies to all professions – doctors, nurses, social workers, occupational therapists, healthcare assistants, and support staff. As a professional you have a duty to know how to use it.

You'll need:

  • to know the care and support needs of the adult at risk, as defined in the Care Act 2014
  • to know the nature of the abuse, as defined in the Care Act 2014
  • to confirm that the alleged incident, abuse or neglect took place in Stockport
  • to make sure that the adult at risk is aware you're reporting a concern, unless the adult at risk lacks capacity to consent
  • the name, address, date of birth, contact details of the adult at risk
  • the GP details of the adult at risk
  • the name and contact details of a non-professional family member or friend if the adult at risk lacks capacity to consent
  • details of the concern;
    • type of abuse
    • location
    • details of events
    • if others are at risk
    • if the police have been informed
  • details of any previous referrals involving the adult at risk
  • the names of any other agencies or providers that the adult at risk is known to
  • the immediate actions that have been taken to keep the adult at risk safe
  • your name and contact details
  • the desired outcomes for the adult at risk
  • any documents that could help progress the referral. For example; care plans, photos, incident reports
Start now

How we use your data

We primarily use your data for processing your report. This may then be shared with other government departments in accordance with our organisational privacy notice. We never sell your data to third parties or use it to market to you without your consent.