Change your name on the Electoral Register

If you are already registered but have changed your name, you can visit the GOV UK website to register your changes.

Before you start

You will need your national insurance number. This is the quickest and easiest way to tell us of changes.

Just because you pay Council Tax or have a library card does not mean that you are automatically registered to vote. It is everyone’s individual responsibility to register.

Not being included on the register may stop you from:

  • getting a loan
  • opening a bank account
  • applying for a mortgage
  • getting a mobile phone
Start now

Paper Form

Alternatively you can print and complete a paper form. However we will require evidence of your new name before we can change it on the electoral register.

The supporting documentation we require can be:

  • a marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • an overseas marriage or civil partnership certificate that has been deposited with the General Register Office for England & Wales, the General Register Office for Scotland or the General Register Office for Northern Ireland or;
  • a deed poll or amended birth certificate

These documents may be provided as originals or copies. If the documents are being sent in by post rather than being brought into the Elections Office in the Town Hall, we prefer to receive copies.

Changing your name on the electoral register (PDF 210Kb)

Please Note: All paper application forms should be completed, signed and returned to the Electoral Registration Officer, Town Hall, Edward Street, Stockport, SK1 3XE