Staircase House: Great Fire of London
Last updated 7 February 2023
This session is suitable for key stage 1.
In this exciting session, your class will retell the story of the Great Fire of London within the 17th century rooms at Staircase House. They can dress up and get involved in role-play while finding out where, when and why the fire broke out. They'll explore what Samuel Pepys wrote about the fire and find out what an eye witness is. There will also be a chance to take part in some hands-on activities.
When you book your trip, you'll need to choose 2 of these activities to make up your day:
- Wattle and daub. Find out about 17th century house construction and make a wattle and daub panel to take back to school.
- The plague. Find out about the plague and make a ‘medicine or cure’ using herbs and spices.
- Fire mark. Find out about fire marks and design one to take back to school.
Times and availability
Great Fire of London is a full day session available on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays, from 10:00am to 2:00pm. It can be shortened to a half day on request.
We can accommodate a maximum of 2 classes on Tuesdays and a maximum of one class on Mondays and Fridays.
This is a very popular session so we advise booking at least 6 months in advance.
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) and access
For details about physical accessibility read access at Staircase House. We have accessible toilets.
If you'd like us to adapt our sessions to meet the needs of your pupils, get in touch with us. We also have visual stories to help pupils with SEND prepare for their visit, which will be sent with the confirmation pack.
Price per school trip, up to 35 pupils
- Full day: £235 plus VAT
- Half day: £120 plus VAT
There is no VAT added for Stockport local authority schools.
You'll be invoiced following your session.
We welcome bookings from groups of home educating families and are happy to work with mixed age groups. We limit numbers per session to 40 people in total, including the adults attending.
Home educating families are also welcome to visit our sites as individuals on a self-led basis. You can read more information about all our museums.
Plan your visit to Staircase House gives details on getting here.
Book your school trip
If you have a question or need more information, get in touch with us.
After booking, you'll receive a confirmation email and we'll then follow up with a full confirmation pack containing:
- an itinerary
- travel information and suggested coach drop off and parking points.
- a sample risk assessment
- a visual story
If you cancel your booking:
- less than 6 weeks in advance of the visit, you'll be invoiced for 25% of the full price
- less than 4 weeks in advance of the visit, you'll be invoiced for 50% of the full price
- less than 2 weeks in advance of the visit, we'll invoice you for the full price of the visit to cover our staffing costs
COVID-19 cancellation policy
If the visiting school or Stockport Museums Service has to cancel a trip due to COVID-19 related circumstances, no cancellation charge will be incurred by either the visiting school or Stockport Museums Service. Cancellations that are made due to COVID-19 must be discussed directly with a member of the school SLT as soon as possible prior to the visit.