SRB Market and Underbanks Area
Last updated 24 August 2016
A key initiative for the regeneration of the historic town centre which ran between 1997 and 2005 was the Single Regeneration Budget (SRB) project.
The historic town centre, for the purposes of SRB, was defined as an area which included the Market Underbanks conservation area and part of the Hillgate conservation area.
You can view the map showing the SRB boundary (PDF 457Kb).
The SRB funding was matched by funding from the council, English Heritage, the European Regional Development Fund and the Heritage Lottery Fund, Housing Corporation funding and private investment.
The strategic objectives of SRB were:
- To regenerate and improve the historic core of the town
- To provide a better range, quality and diversity of facilities
- To make the area safer, cleaner, accessible and more attractive by day and night
- To maximise the potential of the market
- To invest in business, enterprise, training and employment
The conservation team was responsible for delivering projects under objectives 1,2,3 and 4. Examples of these projects can be viewed in the SRB Facelifting Scheme (PDF 394Kb).