Single person

2. Single person discount review

We’re carrying out a review of all households currently claiming a Single Person Discount (SPD) on their Council Tax. The review is being undertaken by Civica, on our behalf, and will make sure that households are still entitled to the discount.

If you receive a letter from us

Fill out the form and send it back to us using the envelope provided. You can also reply to us by email at and provide the same information asked for in the letter. You must quote your Council Tax account number in the subject field.

  • if you're the only adult over the age of 18 in the property, tick the relevant box, and sign and date the form at the bottom

  • if there is more than one adult living in the property, you will need to give their name, date of birth, the date they moved in and their previous address

  • if you think an adult living in the property should not be counted for Council Tax purposes, you should still include them on the form and tell us why they should not be counted. For example; apprentices, an adult who has recently left school or a student at college or university. You must include their date of birth, the name of the school, college or university they attend, and if their term time address is away from home, the address where they're studying. You may also need to provide evidence that you are receiving Child Benefit for the person over the age of 18. For example; a bank statement.

Make sure you provide us with an email address or contact telephone number, as we may need to contact you for more information.

Provide as much information as possible.

Your completed form should be returned to us within 14 days. If we do not receive it on time we will send you a reminder letter. You will not be penalised if the competed form is returned on time.

If you do not complete the form, we will assume your circumstances have changed, and that you are no longer entitled to the discount. Your SPD may be removed and a revised Council Tax bill will be sent to you.

If your SPD is removed as part of the review process, you can find details of how to appeal against your Council Tax bill on our Council Tax appeals webpage.

Other circumstances that may change your entitlement

  • if someone is using your address for correspondence only, you must provide their name and the address they live at, so that it can be verified. More information can be given, if relevant, to assist your claim

  • if you have informed us of a change in circumstances already, you should still complete the form with details of your current situation

  • if you receive mail for previous occupiers of your property, write on the envelope that the person no longer lives at the address and return it to the sender

  • if a friend stays with you 3 or 4 nights a week, you need to tell us. For example, if your friend;

    • keeps their belongings at your house, their main residence would be your address. This means you will no longer be eligible for SPD
    • stays at various addresses but keeps their belongings at your property, their main residence would be your address
    • uses your address to register with a GP or dentist, their main residence would be your address
    • works away and stays at your address on their days off, their main residence would be your address

You should provide as much information as possible. If necessary, you can use a separate sheet. If you're not sure, you can contact the Council Tax Review Team on 0300 373 0623 for advice.

If you knowingly supply false information you may have to pay a fine under the provisions of the Local Government Finance Act 1992.


Civica provides services in revenues and benefits processing work. They have a specialist team of experienced Council Tax officers to carry out discount reviews.

Your returned form will be handled by them at their specialist mailing centre in Pershore. The information you provide will then be electronically scanned into your Council Tax account.

Civica will match your entry on the Council Tax database with 3rd parties and specialist validation services. Details of the properties in receipt of an SPD will be passed to Experian Limited. Experian Limited will run a search to match other data sources. For example; the electoral register, if you have any credit agreements. Experian Limited then provides Civica with a list of possible adults at the property.

Civica only holds your data to impose and collect Council Tax. Your data will be held for as long as required, then destroyed. Civica will not compile a database that could be shared with, or accessed by, other bodies or sources. View Experian Limited's privacy notice.

Please note: we do not hold any credit information. If you want to see your credit file you should contact any of the major credit reference agencies:

  • Transunion (formerly Callcredit)
  • Experian
  • Equifax