Last updated 19 February 2021
2. Staircase House
The earliest parts of the present building are the 1460 cruck frames and roof timbers. These formed the main structure of a single storey building, which ran parallel to Market Place.
This was altered in the 17th century when a 2 storey timber framed building was constructed around the original structure. Many additions were completed in the 17th century including the carved newel staircase, which gives the building its present name.
Significant alterations took place in the 18th and 19th centuries, including replacing the timber framed frontage with brickwork.
Recent documentary research has proved that in 1618 Staircase House was owned by the Shallcross family. They were members of the local landed gentry who used the property as one of their chief residences.