Test and Trace support payment

Test and Trace support payment scam

We're aware that some residents have received a text message stating that their support payment application is incomplete and that they need to provide their card details.

We will not contact you to ask for your card details and security code. Do not give out your details if you receive this text message.

You may be able to get a payment of £500 if:

  • you've been told to self-isolate because of coronavirus
  • you're the parent or guardian of a child who has been told to self-isolate from 8 March 2021, and you need to take time off work to look after them

You need to claim within 42 days of the first day of the self-isolation period.

If you're employed and receive benefits

If you’ve been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace you can apply for the payment if you’ll lose income because you cannot work from home.

You must be either employed or self-employed.

You or the partner you live with must receive one of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Pension Credit

You must have given NHS Test and Trace the information they’ve asked for, and have a Test and Trace account ID.

If you're employed but do not receive benefits

If you meet all the other eligibility criteria but do not receive benefits, you may be entitled to a discretionary payment.

You can apply for this payment if you live in Stockport and:

  • you can demonstrate financial hardship as a direct result of not being able to work whilst self-isolating

You'll need to provide evidence of this with your application.

If your child needs to self-isolate

You may be able to get a payment if you need to take time off work to look after your child and you cannot work from home. Your child must:

  • be 15 or under, or 25 or under if they have an Education, Health and Care plan (EHC)
  • live with you
  • normally be at school or in childcare
  • have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, the NHS COVID-19 app or their education or childcare setting

You’ll still need to meet the other eligibility criteria. You’ll also need evidence that your child has been told to self-isolate.

Members of the same household

People in the same household can make individual applications to receive the payment if they each meet the eligibility criteria.

Applying for someone else

You can help someone else fill out an application, or you can fill out an application on their behalf. The payment will only be made into a bank account in the name of the person for whom the application is being made.

Apply for the Test and Trace support payment

Income Tax

Note: this support payment is subject to tax. If you receive the payment you will not be taxed on it straight away, but will be contacted by HMRC at a later date. The payment will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

If you're employed and your income is no more than £12000, you will not have to pay tax. If you do need to pay tax, HMRC will automatically recover it from your pay through a change in your tax code.

If you're self-employed, the payment will contribute to your profits and will need to be included on your self-assessment tax return along with any other coronavirus support payments you receive.

Existing benefit entitlements

The payment does not affect existing entitlements to Universal Credit, Pension Credit, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit. The payment will also be disregarded as income for the purposes of tax credits.

Statutory Sick Pay

You can claim Statutory Sick Pay as well as the self-isolation support payment. You cannot claim contractual sick pay from your employer.

Employers can claim Statutory Sick Pay Reimbursement for those employees self-isolating.

If your bank account is overdrawn

If you're eligible for the £500 support payment, you can tell your bank that the payment you receive should only be used to pay certain items. For example; utility bills, rent or mortgage, and that it is not to be used to repay your overdraft.

As soon as your payment has been approved, write to your bank making it clear what you want your support payment to be used for.