Self-isolation means staying inside your home at all times, except if you need access to medical help. You can go and take a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test but you should use your own transport or ask for one in the post.

When you’re self-isolating, you should not:

  • go to work
  • go to school
  • go to public areas
  • use public transport or taxis
  • receive visitors inside your home
  • go shopping

If you need to buy food or other essentials, you should ask friends or relatives.

If you do not have a network of friends or family, please visit our coronavirus helpline web page for information on how we can help.

Why you should self-isolate when you’re told to

Self-isolation is one of the main ways of keeping others safe from infection by reducing the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) in communities.

The notification for people to self-isolate can come from the NHS Test and Trace service, the NHS COVID-19 app or the council Test and Trace team.

Who should self-isolate

If you show symptoms of COVID-19, you need to self-isolate immediately and get a PCR test. Your household should also self-isolate, unless they are exempt. You can find out about exemptions on GOV.UK.

Self-isolating and work

Your employer must let you self-isolate if you are required to.

Financial support while you’re self-isolating

Stockport Council Test and Trace support payment

If you’ve been told to self-isolate, or you’re responsible for a child who has to self-isolate, you may be able to get a payment of £500. You can find out more on our Test and Trace support payment page.

Statutory Sick Pay

You’re entitled to Statutory Sick Pay for as long as you’re self-isolating and meet the eligibility criteria. This may also apply to agency workers or those on zero-hours contracts.

Other support while you’re self-isolating

There’s support available for anyone who is concerned about self-isolating. To find out how we can help:

  • visit our coronavirus help pages
  • call our helpline on 0161 217 6046
  • use our textphone option on 07860 022086 if you’re deaf or have a hearing impairment

We’ll tell you how you can access practical support, including local support for anyone who’s isolated and feeling alone.

Further information on guidance and support for employees during the COVID-19 pandemic is available on GOV.UK coronavirus support pages.

Support if you’re in self-employment

If you’re in self-employment and you’re asked to self-isolate, you must work from home. If you cannot do this and your business is affected, you may be eligible for a grant through the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme.

You can also find out about local support on our self-employment support pages.