Self-build and custom build housing register

We are developing a register of people who express an interest in buying serviced plots of land to build their own home. We will assess the register when carrying out planning and other functions.


Individuals or associations who purchase land and build their own house or houses on a serviced plot or plots is known as a self-build.

The property may be built by the individual or by employing a builder, architect and, in some cases, a project manager to oversee the build.

A serviced plot has access to the public highway as well as connections for electricity, water and waste water.

Custom builds

This tends to be where individuals work with a developer who divides larger sites into individual plots and provides a design and build service to purchasers.

This also gives people the opportunity to customise existing house designs to suit their needs.

Apply to go on to the register

If you are considering a self-build or a custom build project in Stockport you can email to be added to our register. Applicants must be able to prove they are:

  • aged 18 or over
  • a British citizen, a national of EEA state other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • seeking (either alone of with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in Stockport to build a house to occupy as that individual's sole or main residence.

At this stage the register will form part of the evidence needed to assess the demand for individuals and associations seeking to acquire serviced plots of land.

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on Stockport Local Planning Authority to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who wish to acquire serviced plots of land to bring forward self-build and custom house building projects.

It places a duty on Stockport Local Planning Authority to have regard to those registers in carrying out planning and other functions.