Safeguarding vulnerable adults from abuse
Last updated 11 June 2020
The content of the course is designed to provide the essential knowledge and skills required so that participants feel confident in their role as 'alerter' in identifying, responding to and reporting suspected adult abuse.
This course is open to all front line staff who work in an Adult Social Care setting from the private, voluntary and independent sectors, and also staff from other sectors who regularly work with adults who are vulnerable to abuse.
By the end of the session you will be able to:
- name the ten different types of abuse and describe why abuse may occur
- recognise the possible signs and symptoms of abuse
- list how, when and to whom to report suspected abuse
- describe your specific role in responding to concerns, disclosure and allegations of abuse
- understand the role that person centred care, treating people with dignity and respect plays in the prevention of abuse
- have knowledge of policy, procedures and legislation that supports Safeguarding Adults activity
- understand the rights of an adult at risk to refuse help in situations of suspected abuse
No charge is made for attendance on this training. A £50 non-attendance charge will apply for delegates who do not attend the course having reserved a space. The delegates employer will be invoiced for this charge.
The non-attendance charge will be waived if:
- a substitute delegate is sent on the course
- the delegate cancels their space on the course at least 5 working days before the course date
Bespoke versions of this course can also be delivered on location, for example in a Care Home or Housing Provider setting, subject to a charge. For details contact the Stockport Council Workforce Development team.
The course lasts for 3.5 hours, and is held in Conference Rooms 1 and 2, Learning and Development Centre, 1st Floor, Stopford House. Full details of the venue will be sent to delegates who reserve a place. Please note that car parking in the surrounding area is limited and on a pay-and-display basis.
You can view upcoming course dates and book a place on the course via Learning Pool.
If you have not done so before you will need to register for Learning Pool – watch our video for on how to register for Learning Pool.