Roadworks, closures and diversions
3. St Mary’s Way improvements
St Mary’s Way is an important route in our town centre that we’re investing in improving for the future. During summer 2017 motorists had a glimpse of what the road will be like in the future. Improvement works are expected to be completed in spring 2018.
Widening the road and improving junctions will let more traffic use this key road. This will make it easier for motorists to travel along Hempshaw Lane and St Mary’s Way between the A6 and M60. At the same time, we are also improving facilities for pedestrians and cyclists.
The work taking place is part of our Town Centre Access Plan project.
We’re doing all we can to keep disruption to a minimum. This includes:
• keeping the road and junctions open as much as possible
• planning the work around other projects in the town centre
• carrying out any required closures at night
You may need to leave more time for your journey and plan your route using the Transport for Greater Manchester online journey planner
What’s happening over the next few weeks?
As we approach the final phases of works the focus will be at the St Mary's Way / Hall Street junction. Traffic management will continue to be required throughout the works including lane closures, which will be minimised wherever possible to reduce the impact of works. Specifically, lane closures will be removed during peak periods when safe to do so.
- The left turn from St Mary's Way (southbound, uphill) to Hall Street is planned to re-open on Sunday 18th February 2018 following completion of works in the corner of the junction
- There is a requirement to close the right turn from St Mary's Way (southbound, uphill) to Spring Gardens for approximately 3 weeks from Sunday 18th February 2018. This is to enable works to the central reservation on approach to the junction. The ban will be in place 24 hours a day.
A signed diversion will be in place and emergency vehicle access maintained during the three week period of the right turn closure.
Pedestrian diversion routes will be in place and signed as required during the works. This will maintain the use of traffic light controlled crossings. The new shared use footway along St Mary’s Way will be opened when the junction works are complete.
Update 15th February 2018
Work creating the new left hand turn lane into Hall Street is nearly complete and the left hand turn will re-open on Sunday 18th February 2018. We'd like to thank everyone for their patience whilst these works have been taking place.
As the works on St Mary's Way near completion, we need to continue the improvements to the St Mary's Way / Spring Gardens junction. From Sunday, vehicles going southbound will be unable to turn right into Spring Gardens for around 3 weeks. A signed diversion route will be in place for motorists.
For information about roadworks and diversion routes, visit our Roadworks, closures and diversions pages.
St Marys Way update 15th Feb 2018
St Marys Way update - 15th Feb 2018
Find out more
If you have any questions about the works you can contact the project team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org Alternatively, call 0161 474 2299 (during office hours).