Roadworks, closures and diversions
11. Mill Lane/Hyde Road (A560) junction improvement, Woodley
Approval and funding to facilitate carriageway widening work on Mill Lane at the Hyde Road junction was secured last year. The widening work will provide a two lane exit from Mill Lane onto Hyde Road and will assist in alleviating traffic congestion along Mill Lane and at the junction during busy periods.
The works are programmed to commence on site on 1st February 2018 and it is expected that the scheme will take approximately 13 weeks to complete. The first 2 to 3 weeks of activity will involve the Council’s Principal Contractor, Solutions SK, securing the site, introducing temporary traffic management arrangements and commencing site clearance works. Following this, the site will be handed over to the Utility Groups, for a 3 week period, whilst apparatus diversions are carried out.
A variety of temporary traffic diversions – which will be clearly signed - are required during various phases of the work:
- Mill Lane will be one way in from Hyde Road for a period – drivers wishing to exit from the area will be diverted around the back of the shopping precinct.
- Some Sunday closures of Mill Lane (between Hyde Road and the access road to the car park/rear of shopping precinct) will be required.
- The first Sunday closure will be on 18 February. Drivers wishing to access the area when a closure is in place will need to do so via Mill Street. Please note however that the left turn into Mill Street is particularly difficult for drivers of larger vehicles. In the event that you need access in a large vehicle, it is recommended that you approach from the Hyde direction which will enable you to turn right in.
- Temporary “No Parking” restrictions will be introduced on sections of the service road to the rear of the precinct to ensure larger vehicles are able to safely negotiate the diversion route. Signs and traffic cones will be used to indicate these restrictions, which will be enforceable.
On-street signing will be provided in the area shortly to advise of the works. The majority of carriageway and footway works will be undertaken on weekdays between the hours of 8.00am and 4.30pm approximately, although some evening/weekend/overnight work may be required.