Roadworks, closures and diversions
9. Mill Lane/Hyde Road (A560) junction improvement, Woodley
Approval and funding to make the road wider on Mill Lane at the Hyde Road junction was secured last year. The work will provide a two lane exit from Mill Lane onto Hyde Road and will help reduce traffic congestion along Mill Lane and at the junction during busy periods.
The works started on site on 1 February 2018 and are expected to be completed by the end of April 2018. Utility Groups are currently working in advance of the junction alterations taking place.
A variety of temporary traffic diversions – which will be clearly signed - are required during various phases of the work:
- Mill Lane will be one way in from Hyde Road for a period – drivers wishing to exit from the area will be diverted around the back of the shopping precinct
- some Sunday closures of Mill Lane (between Hyde Road and the access road to the car park/rear of shopping precinct) will be needed
- drivers wishing to access the area when a closure is in place will need to do so via Mill Street. Please note however that the left turn into Mill Street is particularly difficult for drivers of larger vehicles. In the event that you need access in a large vehicle, it is recommended that you approach from the Hyde direction which will enable you to turn right in
- temporary “No Parking” restrictions will be introduced on sections of the service road to the rear of the precinct to ensure larger vehicles are able to safely negotiate the diversion route. Signs and traffic cones will be used to indicate these restrictions, which will be enforceable
Most of road and pavement works will be done on weekdays between the hours of 8am and 4:30pm approximately, although some evening/weekend/overnight work may be needed.
Update 13 March 2018
Unfortunately we have experienced delays in progressing these roadworks. As well as the bad weather at the end of February, Electricity North West Ltd identified a fault on electrical equipment, during the utility diversion period, which was affecting the network supply to the local area. They have now repaired the fault and we are waiting for them to confirm when they will restart their work. Once their work is finished, other utility groups can alter their equipment ahead of the road works beginning.
Temporary traffic lights will be put on the junction next to Woodley Village Health Centre from the 14 March 2018. We expect the lights to remain in place for the whole of the roadworks at Mill Lane, although, whenever possible, we will look to temporarily re-open Mill Lane to two-way traffic.
Update 24 April 2018
Overnight resurfacing works will commence on Monday 30 April until Wednesday 2 May 2018. The works will begin at 7pm and finish at 5am.
Please see below for more information and the letter to residents affected by the works: