Report suspected abuse or neglect

We believe that every adult has the right to be treated with dignity, have their choices respected and live a life free from fear.

Many adults over the age of 18 have to rely on other people to help them in their day-to-day living because of disability, illness or frailty. Sadly, it's because they have to depend on others that they may become vulnerable and at risk of abuse. It's very often from people they know or trust such as a relative, friend, neighbour or paid carer.

You can read more about safeguarding in the care and support statutory guidance on the GOV.UK website.

Abuse or neglect can take place anywhere that vulnerable people are. For example:

  • in their own home
  • in a nursing home
  • in day care
  • in a hospital

Contact us if you, or someone you know, is at risk of, or experiencing abuse.

Tell us about someone being abused or neglected

If an adult is in immediate danger you should call the police on 999. If the adult is not in danger now, call 101.

If you know of a worrying situation or you suspect someone over the age of 18 is being abused or neglected, do not ignore it.

Call us on 0161 217 6029, Monday to Thursday from 8:30am to 5pm and Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm. For Minicom call 0161 217 6024.

For out of normal office hours, call 0161 718 2118.

Professionals only

If you're a professional and have a safeguarding concern for an adult, tell us about your concern using our online form.

Note: we'll only make enquiries about safeguarding concerns that have taken place within the borough of Stockport. When abuse or neglect takes place outside of Stockport, you'll need to report this to the relevant local authority.

Due to the nature of abuse, many victims are often too scared to come forward. If you've been abused or are currently suffering abuse, we can offer advice and support. We can also provide information on any future action you may wish to take against your abuser. If you cannot make decisions on your own, we'll put in place measures to protect you.