How to report a flood

3. Homes and businesses

We record flood reports so that we can monitor and assess trends or wider issues.

If you're the owner of the property that has flooded, it's your responsibility to resolve it.

We'll consider whether we need to carry out an investigation and let you know if there's any work you may need to do.

If you know the flood is coming from your neighbour's property, we can advise you on what action to take.

Things you can check for yourself if there's a flood in your cellar or basement

Check whether the flood is coming from your own drainage

As a property owner, you're responsible if a flood is coming from the pipes, gutters and drains in and around your home. United Utilities are responsible for public sewers.

Use the United Utilities sewers and drains explained web page to find out whether the pipes and drains are public or private.

To report a flood from a burst water main or public sewer you need to contact United Utilities.

Carry out a dye test to see where the flood is coming from

If you think you know where the flood is coming from you can do a dye test.

You can check where a flood is coming from by putting a coloured drainage dye into the drain. For more information, you can read our dye testing guidance.

If you've completed these steps and need advice you can use our online form.

Report a flood in a home or business

You should report a flood if:

  • it's on the ground floor of your home or business
  • the garage is flooding and it's connected to the property
  • the water in your home or business is deeper than 50mm

Report a flood

Gardens and driveways

You can find more information about flooding in gardens and driveways in our private land guidance.

You can find information about what you can do to prepare for a flood as well as staying safe after a flood on our how to protect your home web pages.