Protect your home
Here are a few simple steps you can take to help prevent problems later.
- check that pipes are adequately lagged
- check that you have ordered your winter heating fuel
- get your chimney or flue swept
- get a supply of grit to use on paths and steps around your property
- stock up on tinned food and supplies for your freezer
- check that you know where your stop tap is located − in case a pipe bursts
- test your central heating − get your boiler serviced and make sure radiators are hot from top to bottom
- if you have a condensing boiler, check the pipe is insulated − many homes had problems last year when the external pipe froze
- find out if you are entitled to a grant for insulation or need some advice on keeping your home warm during winter. Visit our Energy Efficiency pages more information.
- be especially aware of fire safety, particularly if you are planning to use portable heaters, open fires or stoves - install a battery-operated carbon monoxide detector and smoke alarms and test them every week