The council issues pet shop licences under the provisions of the Pet Animals Act 1951.
The licence can stipulate a number of conditions to secure the following objectives:
- that animals are kept in accommodation suitable in respect of size, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- that animals are adequately supplied with suitable food and drink and are visited at suitable intervals
- that animals are not sold at too early an age
- that all reasonable precautions are taken to prevent the spread of infectious diseases
- that appropriate steps will be taken in the event of an emergency
The Health and Safety team inspect pet shops for conditions and legal compliance.
For further information about pet shop licences, please contact the Licensing team on 0161 474 4181 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.