Personal injury and damage claims
1. If you decide to claim
We are responsible for maintaining roads and pavements and we seek to ensure that all roads and pavements are safe.
If you feel that you can prove we have failed in our duty and you have suffered a personal injury, or damage to your property as a result of this failure, you can make a claim for compensation.
For damage claims, you will need to provide:
- proof of vehicle ownership in the form of a V5C document
- a copy of the MOT and Insurance certificate that covers the date of the incident
- 2 estimates for repair or an invoice
- photographs of the area of road that caused the damage. These should be wide angled colour photos showing the road in context to houses, street furniture and other landmarks. The photos should be marked with an arrow to show the direction of travel. Also mark an X to show the exact defect that caused the damage
- photographs of damage to your property
For personal injury claims you'll need to provide your:
- National Insurance number
- date of birth
- details of your earnings, if you are claiming for loss of income.
To request a claims pack please email CNF@stockport.gov.uk. Alternatively, call 0161 217 6111 and a pack will be sent out to you from the Insurance team.
Problems with motorways and trunk roads are the responsibility of Highways England.
Please think carefully before making a claim. The network of roads and pavements must be managed and maintained as cost effectively as possible. The majority of claims are paid for by the council from Council Tax income.
The cost of processing unsuccessful or fraudulent claims is a drain on staff time and diverts resources from frontline services.