Permits and licences
2. Scaffolding and hoarding
When it's necessary to place hoardings on the highway around the place of work or scaffolding, permission is necessary. It can be obtained from us on completion of an application form with attached drawings.
A license to erect a scaffold or hoarding will be charged at the following rates:
- scaffolding erected in Stockport town centre or local district centre £112 (first 7 days) followed by £40 (for each subsequent 7 days)
- scaffolding in other areas £68 (first 7 days) followed by £35 (for each subsequent 7 days)
Once permission has been granted the following basic conditions apply:
- to be a minimum of 2.5m high and to be able to withstand high winds
- illumination may be required if street lighting is not adequate
- must have a smooth finish with no protruding parts
- pedestrian walkways of satisfactory width are to be maintained or provided and regularly inspected by the contractor
- during the erection or dismantling period, a safe working area at ground level is required to prevent pedestrians gaining access. In the town centre, this work is to be carried out outside normal working hours. That is after 6pm or before 8am or on a Sunday
- will require illumination unless no part of it is less than 0.45m (18 inches) from a carriageway in a horizontal direction. Also no part of it over a footway is less than 2.4m (8 feet) above the footway
- pedestrian walkway to be maintained around the scaffold. If this cannot be arranged, it requires to be designed to allow access under and through the scaffold safely. A reasonable free walking width must be maintained to enable persons in wheelchairs/prams, etc, to pass the scaffold safely
Contravention of these rules could result in a maximum fine of £5,000 (non-compliance with scaffolding licence), £1,000 plus £2 per day (contravention of Section 172 of the Highways Act) and £200 plus £1 per day (contravention of Section 173 of the Highways Act).
Before filling in this application you should read the terms and conditions (PDF 32Kb).