Permits and licences

9. Excavating the public highway (section 50)

If you want to excavate in the public highway (footway/carriageway/verge) and you're not working on behalf of a statutory undertaker, then you must obtain a Section 50 licence.

You can download the application form below. When you've filled it in return it to:

Services to Place
Stockport Council
Streetworks, 2nd Floor
Fred Perry House

Or email the full application to

Section 50 application form

PDF, 91 KB

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology.


Type 1 - £441 for works undertaken on the public highway not involving the installation or connection of apparatus under the highway

Type 2 - £608 for works undertaken on the public highway involving installation or connection of the underground apparatus

Type 3 - £1655 for works undertaken to install or erect structures on the public highway