Pay for care at home

We'll complete a care needs assessment first to find out how much care you may need at home. Once we've agreed you have care needs under the Care Act 2014, we'll ask you to complete a financial assessment. This is also known as a means test and tells us how much you can afford to pay towards your care.

The financial assessment works out:

  • how much you can afford to pay towards your care, and
  • if you're eligible for financial support from us to help pay for it

If your savings and assets are:

  • less than £23,250; you'll receive financial support from us to help pay for the care you receive at home, but you may need to pay something towards the cost of your care
  • more than £23,250; you'll have to pay the full cost of the care you receive at home

We cannot help you pay for care at home if you choose to arrange it yourself.

Will I have to sell my home?

If you receive care at home, the value of your property is not included in the assessment while you still live in it. If you have additional properties or land, the value of these will be taken into account.

You will not have to sell your home to pay for care at home.

Benefits to help pay for your care

You, or someone you care for, could get benefits to help with care costs even if you have savings. Visit the HomeCare website to check what benefits you can claim while receiving care at home.

If you receive care at home, DRE of £15.80 will be included in your financial assessment as a standard expense. This is a flat rate to cover weekly costs related to your disability or health condition.

You can get additional DRE if your disability expenses are higher than £15.80 per week. We'll need proof of this from your bank statements, invoices or receipts. Ideally they should show 3 consecutive payments of all expenses.

Examples of DRE could include:

  • special clothing or footwear
  • special equipment
  • help to look after your home and garden

If you're struggling to provide proof, please get in touch with us.

Find out more about DRE on the following websites:

Types of care at home

Care you may have to pay for:

  • day care services and activities
  • home care
  • extra care
  • a personal assistant
  • night sitting services
  • supported living

Care you do not have to pay for:

  • short-term support if you've been discharged from hospital or you're recovering from an illness
  • equipment and adaptations that cost less than £1,000 per item
  • the annual one-off payment to carers in recognition of the work they do

More information