Transformation in the town centre
Last updated 12 August 2021
Stockport is currently undergoing radical transformation, with over £1 billion dedicated to the regeneration of the town centre and dynamic growth. Flagship redevelopments such as Stockport Exchange and Redrock are contributing to the already thriving local economy where over 13,000 businesses employ approximately 124,000 people.
The council is leading and supporting a number of projects aimed at securing the long term future of Stockport town centre. These include:
- a £7 million investment programme for the Market Place and Underbanks area
- the development of the £45m Redrock leisure and retail facility
- investment in Merseyway shopping centre
- ongoing support for local events and activities
- a Townscape Heritage Lottery bid of £1.8m for Stockport’s historic Underbanks area
Stockport town centre provides the primary retail and leisure facilities for the borough, with a wide range of shops, museums, cinema, theatres and eating establishments.