Our plan for walking and cycling in Stockport 2019-2029
By 2029 our ambition is to deliver a high quality and fully connected walking and cycling network across the borough. We want to promote walking and cycling as regular and easy to access forms of transport for all age groups and ability levels.
The plan for walking and cycling in Stockport outlines how we'll:
- create and maintain high quality and fully connected walking and cycling networks within Stockport
- enable 'last mile' walking and cycling to enable connections with public transport
- use targeted promotion and training to help all groups to consider walking and cycling, and to improve safety
- make sure that neighbourhoods and district centres are walking and cycling friendly to promote trips by bike and on foot
- make sure that employment, residential, retail and leisure activities in the town centre are easy to get to by bike and on foot
- improve and maintain high quality walking and cycling connections with local networks, so areas close to Stockport are connected
The Cycling and Walking Plan is just one element of our current approach to cycling and walking. We'll also set out proposals for infrastructure improvements covered by the Greater Manchester Bee Network mapping process and the production of the Greater Manchester Local Cycling and Walking Infrastructure Plan (LCWIP).
The LCWIP was adopted by our Cabinet at a meeting on 18 June 2019. Read our Stockport Walking and Cycling Plan for more information.