Other sources of advice and support
Last updated 3 December 2020
Stockport Citizens Advice
Stockport Citizens Advice provide free and confidential advice and guidance to residents across the borough. All their services are now being delivered via telephone or through digital channels.
The Citizens Advice Stockport Adviceline has now changed to freephone number. The lines are open from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:30pm. Call 0808 278 7803.
Their advisers can help with:
- Universal Credit
- welfare benefits
- work matters
- foodbank vouchers
You can also visit the Stockport Citizens Advice website to use their Web Chat service, find more information about coronavirus and find help with many other issues.
Web Chat is currently available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm, excluding Bank Holidays.
Stockport Credit Union
Stockport Credit Union provide affordable loans to members who are struggling with the extra cost of gas, electric and shopping at this time. To make things easier they're now taking loan applications by email.
All loans offered are subject to status and eligibility criteria, including an affordability check and credit references. The interest rates offered will depend on your own circumstances, and high value loans may require higher credit ratings.
While you have a credit union loan, you must continue to pay at least £1 weekly or £5 monthly into your savings.
- interest is calculated daily on your reducing balance
- you can pay off your loan early or make extra payments without penalties
- there are no set up or administration fees
- you can save at the same time as repaying a loan
- you can repay by Standing Order, Cash or Cheque. If you have a Payroll Loan you can repay it directly from your salary
- you can repay weekly, fortnightly, 4-weekly or monthly
- grow your savings at the same time as having a loan, work towards financial independence
For more information visit the Stockport Credit Union website.
Stockport Credit Union office is closed. You can call them on 0161 430 5808 and leave a message with your name and number for balances. For queries about loans leave your name, number and membership number. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you're not an existing member of the Credit Union you may still be able to benefit from this service. Call 0161 474 2101 or email email@example.com for more information.
Stockport Council specialist debt advice
You can use our online form to request a specialist debt advice appointment. We'll get in touch with you to arrange a telephone appointment. You can request an appointment if you:
- live in Stockport or work for Stockport Council
- have multiple debts, credit debts, fuel arrears, rent or Council Tax arrears
- have received a warrant of eviction for rent or mortgage arrears
- would like advice about insolvency options including bankruptcy and debt relief orders
You can also apply for support through the Support Funds.