Older person's housing

2. Retirement and sheltered housing

Sheltered housing is for people over the age of 50, who want to remain independent, but also want the added security and reassurance of a scheme manager and alarm call service. They are normally self-contained flats, with communal lounges, laundry facilities, lifts, door entry systems and specially adapted facilities.

There are a number of sheltered and retirement housing schemes in Stockport available for rent, shared ownership and market sale.

Some of these are owned and managed by our partner Registered Providers (formerly known as housing associations) and some by private housing providers.

Find sheltered housing in Stockport

For information about sheltered housing for rent, contact the Homechoice Team at Stockport Homes. They will register you with Homechoice and advise on vacancies in both Stockport Homes and selected Registered Provider properties across Stockport.

There are also a number of extra care schemes available for outright sale on the private market operated by:

  • McCarthy and Stone (Dutton Court)
  • Gladman (Adlington House)

You can also search through a database of properties from the HousingCare website, which is a sister site of the Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC). The EAC provide useful advice on the legal and financial points to consider before making a purchase.

The Which? Elderly Care website provides free and independent information and advice on care choices for older people across the UK.