Older person's housing

3. Residential and nursing homes

Residential homes

Residential homes are for people over the age of 18 who are no longer able to remain living independently at home due to:

  • physical disabilities
  • sight or hearing loss
  • frailty
  • illness

They provide personal care and can help you with:

  • meals
  • bathing
  • going to the toilet
  • taking medication

Residential homes in Stockport are all independently owned and managed, so charges will vary. All registered care homes are regulated by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) and are given star ratings. You can check the star rating of a particular care home by visiting the CQC website.

Find residential homes in Stockport

Specialist and nursing homes

Some homes specialise in providing different types of care. If you need more help with personal care or need regular medical attention, you may need a care home that provides nursing support. For example you may need;

  • end of life - palliative care
  • dementia care
  • care from staff who are qualified to assess your medical needs or provide treatment

Some homes are classed as both residential and nursing, meaning that there may be a mix of those who do, and do not, need nursing care. If you're likely to need nursing care in the future this may be a good option, as you will not need to move to a different home if nursing care is needed.

Find nursing homes in Stockport

Requesting an assessment

Contact the adult social care team on 0161 217 6029 to request an assessment for support from us. Visit our paying for care and support pages for more information on how to fund your care.

If a residential home is found to be the best option, we can recommend which ones would best meet your needs and advise you on vacancies.