Non-profit making organisations
To qualify for discretionary relief as a non-profit making organisation your business must:
- be used for charitable, philanthropic or religious purposes.
- be concerned with educational, social welfare, science, literature, the fine arts, or used wholly or mainly for recreation by a not for profit club or society.
We will also consider the following upon receipt of your application for discretionary relief:
- Membership should be open to all sections of the community, unless there are legitimate restrictions placed on membership
- The organisation should actively encourage membership from particular groups in the community
- Facilities should be made available to people other than members
Provision of facilities
- The organisation should provide training or education for its members There should be schemes for particular groups to develop their skills
- Are the facilities provided/maintained by self-help or are they grant aided?
- Does the organisation run a bar?
- Is the organisation affiliated to a local or national organisation?
- Is membership drawn from people mainly resident with Stockport's boundaries?