Last updated 13 March 2018
Stockport's Big Idea - a great fun way to develop digital skills for free
Stockport Council is co-ordinating the launch of the Duke of York’s Inspiring Digital Enterprise Awards (iDEA) across Stockport.
Picture above: Stockport Council apprentices with their Duke of York Bronze awards.
Stockport Council is co-ordinating the launch of the Duke of York’s Inspiring Digital Enterprise Awards (iDEA) across Stockport. This new programme which helps people develop digital and enterprise skills for free is a perfect fit with the Council’s commitment to improving residents’ digital skills and reducing digital exclusion.
Councillor David Sedgwick, Cabinet Member for Reform and Governance at Stockport Council explained: “In an increasingly online world, it’s vital that our residents develop the basic online skills so they don’t miss out on any of the opportunities that digital offers. These awards help people to gain new digital skills in a fun informal way, at a pace that suits them.”
Stockport Council is partnering with Stockport businesses, schools and colleges, employment and training providers and community and voluntary groups to launch iDEA across Stockport. All Stockport Council staff are being encouraged to develop their digital skills and a number of apprentices have already earned their Bronze Award.
Councillor Dean Fitzpatrick, Cabinet Member for Education also commented; “This new programme is an exciting way for people to increase their knowledge in digital and enterprise skills, whether they are starting at the most basic level or are progressing their skills to equip them for the jobs of the future. I am delighted to see so many of Stockport Council’s apprentices achieving their Bronze Award.”
Here are a few comments from our own apprentices and others already working towards the awards:
- “iDEA has really helped me develop new skills.” (Lucy, Stockport apprentice.)
- “The programme is fresh and makes learning fun.” (Beth, Stockport apprentice)
- “I completed badge after badge and learned a lot while solving them.” (Rian)
- “Work is different now and digital is a big part of it.” (Jayne)
- “You get a trade recognised certificate at the end of the course.” (Jason)
- "Personal growth, new skill sets, it’s going to keep me busy for quite some time.” (Keith)
- “It captured my attention and motivated me to want to achieve the next badge.” (Freddie)
- “iDEA is a mash up of skills and a pathway into career options.” (Jeff)
To celebrate the launch of iDEA in Stockport, we have created an exclusive Digital Stockport badge, available to everyone in Stockport who takes part in iDEA, which gives participants points towards their Bronze award.
To sign up for the awards and get your Digital Stockport badge visit: www.stockport.gov.uk/idea
If you don’t have access to the internet or you need more help our staff at Stockport libraries can show you how to get started using the free public access computers.