Last updated 7 April 2020
Stay at Home - Plenty of fun things for Stockport families to do this Easter
This bank holiday weekend, you are probably wondering how you are going to pass the time when spending it at home.
This will be a very different Easter and Bank Holiday for everyone. We are asking Stockport residents to continue to do the right thing and to stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives.
Cllr Colin Foster, Cabinet Member for Children, Family Services and Education said: “I hope everyone enjoys the bank holiday weekend, despite the current difficult circumstances. Some of the activities could help you and your family if you are looking for things to do whilst staying at home. It is vital that everyone continues to stay at home only going out when necessary - all of us can make a difference.”
There’s lots of activities for people to get involved with:
- Joe Wicks: The Body Coach has got children up and down the country keeping fit in the comfort of their home. He is running sessions five days a week, Monday to Friday, to keep kids moving and feeling positive! Fear not, there are also plenty of workouts on his YouTube channel for you to join in too.
- Stockport Spiderman and Friends: Keep up with where Spiderman and his friends are visiting next. You can even request your local friendly super hero to visit your street on their Facebook page.
- 2020 COVID-19 Time Capsule: Fill in this wonderful COVID-19 time capsule booklet to make memories on getting through this difficult time. Find the full booklet on the Long Creations Facebook page.
There are also a few virtual events happening to help you out:
- Chester Zoo Virtual Tour: Every Friday, Chester Zoo is holding a virtual tour of the zoo on their Facebook page. Tune in for a whole day of animal antics, fun facts, and exclusive behind the scenes knowledge from their amazing zoo keeper team! Find out more on the Chester Zoo website.
- United We Stream: Greater Manchester’s free nightlife streaming service is here with a series of free performances every night from 7pm! Tune in on the United We Stream page.
- Cirque du Soleil: Cirque du Soleil are offering an escape through the delight of their shows! They have uploaded show footage and behind-the-scenes videos to get your thrill from the gravity-defying live shows on their website.
- Northern Lights: This live webcam has been positioned to capture one of the world’s most spectacular natural wonders: the northern lights! Streaming around the clock from Canada, it’s situated in one of the best places on earth to watch the northern lights, directly under the aurora oval. Watch now on the livestream website.
- The National Theatre: The National theatre is streaming a new free play every week. This week’s treat is a bold and innovative reimagining of Jane Eyre, uncovering one woman’s fight for freedom and fulfilment. Find out more on The National Theatre's website.
- Virtual Museum Tours: The Google Arts and Culture app has virtual tours and online exhibitions from some of the globe’s leading art galleries, including the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, The National Gallery in London, and the Musee d’Orsay in Paris. It even has some of Greater Manchester’s gems, such as The Lowry and the National Football Museum. Download the app to have a look!