Last updated 18 March 2022
Ride Anywhere Week is coming!
Ride Anywhere Week 21-27 March aims to encourage people to enjoy the many benefits of riding a bike. Riders can pledge to ride for a week, winning prizes along the way.
Riders can choose one of the following pledges and have a week to complete it:
- ride for health and fitness; there are a lot of reasons to enjoy a bike ride, find out more about the most tangible ones that will help you feel happier and stronger and live longer
- ride for transportation; to work, to school, to the store - start making any journey from A to B by bike
- ride for adventure; whether it’s to ride somewhere new or bikepack for the first time, enjoy a pedal-powered adventure
- ride with kids; saddle up and enjoy a bike ride with your kids this week. It might seem complicated, but we can help you roll out together
Taking part in Ride Anywhere Week is easy. You only have to ride for 10 minutes to start working towards your pledge and be in with a chance to win prizes. Love to Ride will provide useful information for riders and help them from the first push of the pedal!
So how does it work?
- register for free on the Love to Ride website
- start logging your bike rides
- set goals to provide greater motivation
- earn prize draw entries every time that you ride
Reasons to ride:
- supercharge your physical health; even a 10-minute bike ride will start boosting your immune system and raise your heart rate. Make it part of your routine for maximum benefits like living longer
- improve your mental health; riding a bike can make you feel happier and more connected to your surroundings and less prone to depression than other forms of transportation
- reduce stress and anxiety; any form of physical activity is good for reducing stress. Biking can help take your mind off problems and give you a chance to think about things calmly
- make an impact on your environment; reduce your carbon footprint by keeping the car at home
- connect with others; riding with friends, family and groups can form and build friendships and create well-connected communities
Councillor Jude Wells, Cabinet Member for Adult Care and Health, said:
“Now Spring is here it’s a great time to embrace the joys of riding a bike. It’s a good way to ensure you are getting enough daily exercise as well as a healthy way to travel from A to B and connect with others and nature. We have many fantastic trails, green and urban spaces to enjoy in Stockport which are ideal for both beginners and seasoned cyclists. Make a pledge and enjoy all the benefits riding a bike brings.”
For more information about Stockport bike trails visit the Stockport Council website.