Last updated 18 December 2017
Public health experts say “super-spreader” children should get flu vaccination to protect grandparents during winter
During winter months there's an increase in respiratory illnesses including flu, health experts are urging parents to make sure their 2 and 3 year olds have their flu vaccination.
This year all 2 and 3-year-olds in Stockport have been offered the free nasal flu spray vaccination from their GP.
Dr David Baxter, Public Health Consultant at Stockport Council said:
“Small children are ‘super spreaders’ of flu, passing it easily to their families and into the wider community. The evidence proves that having children vaccinated against flu with a simple nasal spray is the key to stopping the spread of the virus further and faster. Latest figures show that 57% of Stockport’s 2/3 year olds have had their vaccination, however to really make an impact and reduce the risk of a flu outbreak we need many, many more to be vaccinated.”
For further information, see https://www.nhs.uk/staywell/parent-of-a-2-or-3-year-old#sdCJssqkyJAHyy8p.97
Contact your GP today to book the nasal flu vaccination for your 2 and 3 Year olds.
There are five reasons to vaccinate your children against the flu:
- The nasal spray helps protect against flu, has been given to millions of children worldwide and has an excellent safety record
- The nasal spray is painless and easy to have
- Flu can be really serious, especially for children with medical conditions like heart disease and diabetes
- If your child gets flu you may have to take time off to look after them
- Protecting your child can stop flu spreading to other children and the family, especially babies and grandparents, who may be at higher risk from flu