Landlords of houses in multiple occupation must be licenced from October 2018

If you're a Landlord of multiple occupation changes are underway from next week.

From 1 October 2018, any landlord who lets a property to five or more people (from two or more separate households) who share either bathroom or cooking facilities must be licensed by Stockport Council as a ‘House in Multiple Occupation’ (HMO).

This change in the licensing of rented houses is designed to protect tenants from poor living conditions by bringing these types of properties under the regulation of Local Authorities.

New rules will also come into force setting the minimum size requirements for bedrooms in HMOs to prevent overcrowding, meaning the Council can protect tenants from the small minority of landlords who persist in renting out sub-standard and overcrowded homes.

Any landlord of an HMO that requires a license can contact the Council’s Housing and Environment team for an application form, obtain guidance on the HMO licensing process or to clarify whether or not their property falls within the new licensing criteria. Failure to license a House in Multiple Occupation is an offence under the Housing Act 2004.

Councillor Sheila Bailey, Stockport Council’s Cabinet Member for Communities and Housing, said: “Landlords across Stockport need to act now if they want to stay on the right side of the law from October.

“Our Housing and Environment team is here to help and can provide advice to any landlord that concerned about the upcoming changes.”

Stockport Council’s Housing and Environment team is now accepting HMO license applications which are available by calling 0161 474 4181 or by emailing

There is more information about HMO licensing available on the Stockport Council website.