Last updated 30 September 2021
Have your say on proposals to improve experience for residents and visitors visiting Market Place and Underbanks
Consultation will run until October 24 on proposals to help residents and visitors enjoy the town centre
Improving the experience for Stockport’s residents and visitors while they enjoy the town’s Market Place and Underbanks is the key focus for a consultation launched this week.
Stockport Council has launched the consultation which builds on the changes that have taken place in the area in the past 18 months.
The proposals, which can be viewed on the Council's Consultation portal have been developed to provide an improved environment for walking and cycling and for those wanting to spend more time in the Market Place and Underbanks Area.
The full list of measures can be found online but the proposals include:
- the installation of automatic bollards to limit access to the Market area between 10:30am and midnight Monday to Sunday. On Friday and Saturday, the restrictions would begin at 7am
- the closure of Mealhouse Brow to traffic at all times. Cycle and pedestrian access will be maintained
- the closure of St Petersgate to through traffic at the St Petersgate bridge over Little Underbank, with a through route for pedestrians and cyclists maintained. South of the closure, there will be no changes to restriction introduced to vehicle movements on Petersgate / St Petersgate, with access to the Merseyway Car Park being unaffected by the proposals
- the full-time (24 hours a day / 7 days a week) closure of Churchgate / Millgate to through traffic between property number 7 Millgate to immediately north of the Market Place / Churchgate junction
- creation of a contraflow cycle lane on St Petersgate to allow cycling in both directions. St Petersgate to remain one-way for vehicles
Cllr David Meller, Cabinet Member for Economy and Regeneration, said: “These proposals are the latest part of our plans to create a fantastic place for residents and visitors in the heart of our town centre.
“The town centre is currently undergoing £1bn of investment and will include thousands of new homes, office space, an improved shopping centre, new transport interchange and local amenities.
“We want to ensure that visitors to the Market Place and the Underbanks can enjoy the area safely but at the same time, also ensuring that residents living in the area are able to enjoy living in the town centre and that businesses thrive.”
A team from the council will be at a pop-up stall in the Market Place on:
- Thursday October 7 from 1pm to 5pm
- Saturday October 9 from 10am to 2pm
- Friday October 15 from 9am to 1pm
To comment on the proposals, visit Have Your Say.
The closing date for responses is October 24.