Get to Know Where to Go for Health Advice - May Bank Holiday Weekends

With the two bank holiday weekends in May, it’s important you know where to go if you, or someone else, become unwell.

Get to Know Where to Go for Health Advice - May Bank Holiday Weekends

If you take regular medicines on repeat prescription and you need to order more, put your request in at least two weeks before you expect to run out. Every bank holiday, NHS 111 sees huge increases in people getting in touch because they’ve run out of a prescription medicine. By being prepared you can save yourself time and ensure NHS 111 is there for those who really need it.

Remember your local pharmacy can give expert advice on minor illnesses, including over the counter medicines. For some conditions they can now issue prescription medicine if needed without a GP appointment.

Many pharmacies will still open over the bank holiday but there are likely to be changes to opening hours. The Greater Manchester Bank Holiday Pharmacy Opening Hours page on the NHS GM website has more details.

If you have pain in your mouth, teeth or gums, call the Greater Manchester Dental Helpline on 0333 332 3800. It is available 8am to 10pm every day, including weekends and bank holidays, for those who need urgent help when their dental practice is closed, or do not have a regular dentist.

Greater Manchester’s Urgent Eye Care Service can provide help quickly if you have a sudden change in vision, red or painful eyes or new flashes or floaters. The service is available throughout the week including evenings and weekends.

Go to to find an optician that is part of the service. This is not a walk-in service so always call first.

For mental health crisis support there are free 24/7 helplines covering Greater Manchester. For Bolton, Manchester, Salford, Trafford and Wigan residents, call 0800 953 0285. For Bury, Heywood, Middleton and Rochdale, Oldham, Stockport, Tameside and Glossop the number is 0800 014 9995.

Dr Manisha Kumar, Chief Medical Officer at NHS Greater Manchester said: *“It's always useful to have a basic self-care kit at home to manage the symptoms of minor health conditions. This can include painkillers, plasters, anti-diarrhoea tablets and antihistamines, all of which can be bought from your local supermarket or pharmacy.

“But if you need expert advice use NHS 111 online or call 111 to get assessed and be directed to the right place which maybe a pharmacy or a walk-in centre. If you have a serious or life threatening injury, go straight to A&E. The NHS is here for you if you need it.” *